Thursday, July 29, 2010

Innsbruck, The Capital of the Alps :)

FYI we have changed the settings so anyone can comment, you do not need to have an account... so lets hear those comments!!


We started out this morning with a quick train ride to Innsbruck, about 2 hours. We couldn't keep our camera down the whole ride because of the beautiful mountains, then the train stopped right in the middle and we realized we were in Innsbruck, Austria! Within the small city, is the old city which consists of a cobble stone street with shops and cafes on both sides. While walking down the city I couldn't help but sing "The hills are alive, with the sound of music...."


Goldenes Dach, The Golden Roof built in 1500 for Emperor Maximilian I
as a balcony for hit to sit in and view events happening in the city square


While walking and exploring the city, we were walking in some back alleys behind the main square and started hearing beautiful music. We followed the music and found ourselves in the courtyard of the Imperial Palace where a concert band was holding a free concert. We found out that it is a tradition that during almost every day in July, of every year, bands and ensembles continue the longtime tradition of open air concerts that has occurred throughout history in Austria. The palace doesn't look so pretty because they are doing some renovations...
Ryan here...
        For those of you curios, like me, if Austrian's drink beer like the German's I have noticed a slight difference. I feel that Austrian's do not drink as much beer for the simple fact that I have not noticed as much beer drinking. In Germany everyone was seen with either a beer bottle in their hands or a stein full of foamy greatness. Also, here they have a drinking age of 18 and Germany is 16. I have only seen one beer that is brewed here in Austria called Kaiser bier. Germany had umpteen beers made in both Berlin and Munich. This is a sad discovery for me because my days of enjoying varieties of inexpensive German beers has come to an end. Alas I will shed no tears because I have found a new alcoholic drink in Austria. Schnapps! While walking around Innsbruck we found a place offering free samples of schnapps. This place makes its own unique flavors with around 50 to choose from. I tried a butter scotch flavor and liked it so much I bought some. Germany had its beer but Austria has a new drink to offer: schnapps.






12 comments:

  1. Of course it picks to show me washing my underwear as the intro picture on the video...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful country and being surrounded by mountains must be heavenly. Love the building architecture and quaintness of Innsbruck.

    Ry- Bummer about the beer but now you can go on another bike tour without almost peeing your pants!

    Allie- I hope it was YOU who wanted to sing in the streets and not Ryan cuz, well, ya know...he can't sing.

    Hope you have a wonderful time in Innsbruck and take some time to just relax.

    Love, Mutter

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL about the underwear!

    LOVE the photos/stories of Austria! Keep the info coming, I think I'm going to print your blog and put it in my travel binder so I have things to *hopefully* see on my own trip to Germany/Austria!

    PLEASE TRY THE WINE AND REPORT ON THAT!! I'm a wine drinker and am dying to know how it is!!

    :) Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy-

    They are heading to Italy next so wine is a must!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes we will be trying wine :) I think we are going to get some wine and schnapps for our overnight train ride to Rome, you can bring alcohol on the trains! Ryan is loving it much better than flying...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Innsbruck looks absolutely lovely!! Is it less crowded there? Wondering what fun things you are seeing today?...
    Steve, Taylor and I will be camping this weekend so I'll have to catch up with you on Sunday. Take care, Love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ryan did you have to do jumping jacks to buy the butterscotch schnapps?

    ReplyDelete
  8. no that was after he had drank the schnapps ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My version of the story is that I was hyped up from drinking wild berry tea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you guys are having a great time, Nicole and I are really jealous! We are going to get on the next flight out there and we'll meet you in Innsbruck. Even though I would rather go to Germany and enjoy the large selection of dark beer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The beer selection is much better in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still can't believe the light switches are on the outside in Austria but not in Germany! lol Mr. Huber was wrong :-P

    ReplyDelete